#15 5201 50 St Leduc, Alberta T9E 6T4City Center Mall
Mon-Thurs 7 am - 8 pm, Fri 7 am - 6 pmBook Online 24/7
1. Both physical therapy and physiotherapy describe the same profession – some countries use one term more than the other.
2. The Canadian physiotherapy profession owes its origins to a group of British nurse-masseuses.
3. Massage therapists and remedial gymnasts founded what would soon become known as physiotherapy. In fact the Swedish word for physiotherapist is sjukgymnast which means sick gymnast !
4. Physiotherapy really got its start after war veteransreturned home in need of rehabilitation.
5. There are now 15 different physical therapy schools in Canada and 3 training sites in Alberta. Physiotherapy is now a Master’s level program.
6. A recent study showed that there were almost 17,000 physical therapists in Canada and 78% of them were women.
7. Physiotherapists can be found in all types of settings: sports clinics, hospitals, workers compensation boards, emergency departments, home care and schools.
8. Physiotherapists in Alberta are providing care in 27 different practice areas. Some that you may not be aware of include:
Physiotherapists are experts in evaluating and improving people’s ability to move and function independently. Increasingly research evidence is demonstrating the positive impact that physical therapy can have on the health our patients.
At Leduc Physio, our team of physiotherapists is passionate about working with you to make you move and feel better! If you have any questions, or if you are curious about some of the lesser known ways that physiotherapy can help, then please contact us!